My Everyday: Highlights of August 2015

Hello lovelies :)

Welcome to my highlights of August 2015.

1st August 2015, Saturday

Today was my last day of preceptorship and my preceptor treated us to pizza for lunch. After work, I went home to drop off my stuff, bought some Nyonya pastry/kueh before heading over to Gardens by the Bay to meet Petra and Gratiane (Pharmacy students from Slovakia and France respectively on International Pharmaceutical Students' Federation (IPSF) student exchange internship (SEP) ). Ironically, I got lost whilst trying to find them that they had to look for me instead. After we finally met up, we went to the food court at Marina Bay Sands to get dinner before heading to the Marina Bay Sands light show. When the light show ended, we decided to head home as Petra had an early flight home the next day. I was honestly sad that she was leaving so soon but I'm glad and thankful for the opportunity to meet her and that we kept in touch ever since.






2nd August 2015, Sunday

Since Gratiane was alone in Singapore, I figured that I should bring her for a home visit. I met her at the station at about 6 pm and we took the bus to my paternal grandma's. After she met my grandma and granddaunt, I brought her to the reservoir near my grandma's. It was fun showing Gratiane bits of my life, my childhood home as well as the places where I used to play at and grew up at. At about 7 pm, I brought her back to my grandma's for our weekly family dinner. My grandma cooked traditional Peranakan and Chinese dishes for Gratiane to try (albeit the non-spicy version), and Gratiane met my family and extended paternal family. At about 9 pm, we left my grandma's and I brought her to the train station before heading home.


3rd August 2015, Monday

My older sister and I decided to go to Vivo City together.

4th August 2015, Tuesday

I finally met one of my online BFFs today - Louise. She's half French, half Singaporean and she lives in Belgium. We were always chatting on FaceBook and when I heard that she was coming to Singapore, I was rightfully excited. We decided to meet at 10 pm at the train station near my home. While waiting for her, I met some of my Pharmacy juniors who were flagging for the annual NUS Rag and Flag and I decided to take the time to chat with them. However, since there was a mix up on our part, Louise and I only finally met at 11 am. We decided to get Prima Deli waffles and some sushi takeaways before heading over to the Chinese and Japanese Garden for a lovely stroll and chat. At about 12 noon, we left and took the bus to Jurong East. We sat at the food court in JEM, chatted, finished our food and drinks, and I helped Louise with her Mandarin Chinese homework. She left at about 1 pm for her Mandarin Chinese class.




After our meeting, I saw some more of my juniors at Jurong East and I chatted with them for a bit before I going back to submit my documents to my preceptor for her to check through and I had dessert with her. At about 3.30 pm, I met up with Viola and Asher for a short gathering and catch up before we decided to head over to my home for them to meet Mari as they were both cat lovers.


5th August 2015, Wednesday

I met Gratiane at Bayfront MRT station and we went up to CÉ LA VI at the 57th storey of Marina Bay Sands. From there, we had a gorgeous aerial view of the entire Marina Bay area as well as Gardens by the Bay. Mesmerised by the view, we stayed there for about 1 h before we decided to head for dinner. I decided to bring Gratiane to one of my favourite Thai restaurants at Bugis - Maggie Thai Restaurant for dinner. After dinner, we headed home.






6th August 2015, Thursday

My older sister's best friend - Maggie - just returned from Hong Kong (she's currently working there) and she came around to our home for a while. Maggie, my sisters and I decided to head to Malaysia Boleh for dinner before we has dessert at Ji De Chi.

7th August 2015, Friday

I had my very first private vocal lesson with Kelvin this afternoon before I met my mum and sisters for dinner at Manhattan Fish Market at JCube.

8th August 2015, Saturday 

Gratiane and I decided to meet at Botanic Gardens MRT after lunch. We entered Botanic Gardens, explored the National Orchid Garden (which was filled with beautiful Orchids), Symphony Lake and Swan Lake before exiting Botanic Gardens at the Tanglin Entrance.





After that, we boarded a bus to Orchard Road, walked from Orchard station to Somerset. My older sister and Daniel joined us at Somerset and we explored the beautiful houses at Emerald Hill before we went over to JCook Cafe at Orchard for some dessert, rest and a good chat. After that, we boarded the bus to go to Haji Lane but unfortunately, we missed our stop and we ended up at Singapore Sports Hub. We had to take a taxi to Haji Lane. After exploring Haji Lane with Gratiane, we had dinner at Zam Zam restaurant before we visited Arab Street and the Sultan Mosque.

9th August 2015, Sunday

SG50 Celebrations! Singapore turned 50 and we watched the national day parade with our grandma.



10th August 2015, Monday 

I met Gratiane at her hostel in Chinatown before we embarked on a self-guided tour of Little India. After our mini tour, we had prata and chicken briyani for dinner at Tekka Food Centre before heading to Clarke Quay. We visited the Old Hill Police Station, Central Fire Station, Masonic Lodge, Singapore Philatelic Musuem and explored a little of Fort Canning Park before we walked all the way back to her hostel in Temple Street.










11th August 2015, Tuesday

Today marked the first day of my third year in university. I have made it beyond the halfway point of my university life which was really bittersweet for me as it made me realise that I only managed to complete of my goals that I had set out to achieve since I started university.  After that realisation, I was determined to set out to achieve all my goal.

Firstly, I managed to check of one of them which was to study a module in my childhood dream school - Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music. I appealed and I managed to be allocated what became my favourite module that I have ever taken in NUS - SSY2223 Western Music in Singapore Context.

On my way to school this morning, I managed to capture a beautiful sunrise. I had classes from 8 to 11 am today as our lab work hasn't start. During the break between our 2 modules (Pharmaceutical Analysis II and Dosage Form Design II), I chatted with my 2 besties and my benchies. After class, I decided to have breakfast with my OG and collected my DFD lab manual before heading to the department's office to collect my PECT file. I bumped into Aliah and Charmaine, and we decided to have Llao Llao together while we chatted and coincidentally, I met one of my primary school close friends - Anita. After that, I had lunch with Pei Xuan at Mos Burger before heading home.

A photo posted by Adelene Tan (@adelenemusic) on

12th August 2015, Wednesday

I met Pei Xuan for lunch at Popeyes and we had Basking Robins and Gong Cha for dessert.

13th August 2015, Thursday

Today's my aunt's birthday :)

I had consecutive classes from 8 am to 2 pm today but the highlight of my day was meeting Louise again. After school, I met Louise outside her Mandarin class classroom and we walked around the malls at Jurong East including IMM and Daiso. We decided to have some curry puffs from Old Chang Kee curry puffs and egg tarts at Fancy Delight for snacks before heading to JEM to meet Elwenn. When Elwenn arrived, we decided to go to the food court at JEM for dinner and we ordered Thai food from Maggie Thai. After dinner, we had a long chat and walked around for a bit before heading home.


14th August 2014, Friday

We had our very first practical and benchie photo of our academic year. I was, am and will always be grateful for them.


After school, I rushed home to drop off my things before heading out to meet Elina at the Merlion Park. We walked through Esplanade Drive, Esplanade Theatres by the Bay to Marina Square where we met 4 of my juniors (Elaine, Hien Ngo and their friends) for dinner at Seoul Yummy. After dinner, we walked past the Singapore Flyer and Marina Bay Sands towards the platform in front of Louis Vuitton to chat whilst we admired the night view of our city. Elina and I decided to walk back to Raffles Place MRT after that.










15th August 2015, Friday

Had a surprise fireworks display outside our window.


16th August 2015, Sunday

My mum, sisters and I made the journey all the way to the East to my uncle's for a mini family gathering and we visited our aunt's before heading to my grandma's. My older sister and I decided to have some ice cream from the Pasar Malam.



17th August 2015, Monday

Today was our first SSY2223 lecture and it was a mad rush getting from LT33 to YSTCM with Jo. However, I did enjoyed the lecture thoroughly and I walked with Jo to CFA before heading to YIH to get dinner. I met Hannah (my JC choir senior) for vocal training before heading to The NUSChoir's welcome tea. Hannah was one of the seniors that supported, encouraged and taught me so much, and I really looked up to her as an older sister. After the training, I attended the welcome tea and we had games before we were treated with a beautiful performance from The NUSChoir. We had sectionals to learn Somnia et Sequi (which became one of my most favourite songs) before we had a combined session. Singing with the NUSChoir truly made me miss singing in a choir so much and it reminded me of one of my cherished childhood dream. After the welcome tea, I waited for Hannah before we walked out to take the bus together.

18th August 2015, Tuesday

Today was a coincidental day as I managed to meet Yi Hong twice and Pei Xuan in school. Gratiane came over to NUS today and we (Nicholas and I) brought her on a mini tour of our school before heading to UTown to meet the rest (Cassandra and Wei Qi) for dinner.


19th August 2015, Wednesday

I had vocal lessons with Kelvin in the morning.

My sister and I met Elwenn and Louise at Queenstown MRT before we headed over to the Queenstown Hawker Centre. We originally planned to bring them to try our dad's favourite bah kut teh however, the store was closed and we decided to bring them to KEK Seafood for some zi char (or Chinese Stir Fry) for dinner. After dinner, we headed over to IKEA for a short walk and some dessert.







20th August 2015, Thursday

I had vocal lessons with Mabel - another of my JC choir senior whom I look up to a lot as well. I am really grateful for their help and I learnt so much from them.

21st August 2015, Friday - My cousin's (Val) birthday

Louise and I decided to meet again as she was flying off this coming Sunday. We met for lunch at RamenPlay and we shared Matcha dessert before going to ice skate. After Louise left, I met my sisters for dinner and we headed over to Public Garden at CHIJMES.







22nd August 2015, Saturday

This evening, I travelled all the way to the East for one of my besties' 21st birthday party - Amanda :) I met Eng Leong, Jun Jie, Grace and Si Yun at Pasir Ris MRT and we decided to walk over to her condo (which turned out to be a longer than expected walk). When we reached her party, my other bestie (Joel) was already there. We gave Aman her birthday present and we sat and chat for a bit before we had dinner. After dinner, the guys decided to go out and help with the barbecue and BBQ some food for us. I did have a good time chatting with everyone especially Aman. Aman's cake was a large and beautiful cake that was shaped as a key. After the cake cutting which was about 9.30 pm, we decided to walk out to the bus stop together and head home. I really did enjoy myself greatly.









24th August 2015, Monday

Thia was probably one of my worst days in 2015. Why is this even in my highlights, you may ask. I figured that I should probably add this in as I felt that it is important to let all of you know that my life isn't a bed of roses. It is still difficult for me to recount this even though it is 3rd January 2016 when I'm writing this.

I decided to go for The NUSChoir's auditions today as singing in The NUSChoir has been my childhood dream ever since I first heard about the choir way back in Primary school. Before the auditions, Hannah kindly helped me to warm up. However, since this meant a lot to me (more than anyone of you can ever know), I was extremely nervous. When my number was called, Hannah, Mabel and all of my choir friends gave me a final encouragement before I head down to the audition room. I remembered that my bestie (Jo) followed me down as well. He kept telling jokes to lighten up my mood but I was extremely nervous that I could hardly speak or laugh (On a side note, he is a hilarious guy with a great sense of humour whose jokes always make me laugh so hard). When it was my turn, I was so nervous that I couldn't sing and I knew I messed up my chances big time. I came out of the audition feeling really crushed and frustrated with myself. It's not like I can't sing seeing that I have passed several of my choir auditions prior to this and I have been singing in my school choirs for 11 years (1998, 2003-2012). When I went upstairs and saw my seniors, I felt like I had let them and myself down and I honestly started crying. The really ugly, complete breakdown cry. I felt like I disappointed them and that all of their time and effort is wasted. I felt like I had let myself down, my dreams crushed and all the years of choir experience and practice went down the drain. It was at that moment when I realised what The NUSChoir truly meant to me and it meant way more than I expected it to be. I was honestly crushed and I have never felt so crushed and upset in my life apart from the moment when I accepted that my dad had passed away. My seniors tried to comfort me and when they left, Jo stood beside me offering me tissues and waited until I calmed down a little before asking me what happened. He listened patiently, consoled and comforted me, and went in to speak with the exco to ask them to give me more time. When I calmed down, he followed me into the interview and he was super supportive and gave me the encouraging smile whenever I looked at him. After the interview, I confided in Jo for a bit before my senior brought me with them and their batch decided to sing some Christmas Carols to cheer me up. After the singing (which Jo joined in), Jo gave me some chocolates and some encouragements. I left with Hannah at about 10 pm. The next day, Kuek informed me that I have been rejected and he explained his rationale to me. Although I did expected it as I was the one who messed up in the first place, it really did crush me and my confidence plummeted. Thankfully, I had Aman and Jo at my side and they really comforted me and encouraged me.

28th August 2015, Friday

After our DFD lab, Aman, Jo and I stayed back to make some sealed ampoules with messages inside.

31st August 2015, Monday

We had our very first CA of our academic year and first of the 9 CAs that we have this semester. After school, I met Gratiane at her hostel and we went for dinner together at Maxwell before heading back to collect her luggage. She introduced me to her room mates and after she bid her farewells, we took the train towards Changi Airport Terminal 1. Nicholas met us at Tanah Merah Interchange. After Gratiane checked in, we sat and chatted before Wei Qi arrived. We had some Starbucks drinks together (I had my usual non-sweet Green Tea Soy Latte) and chatted before Gratiane went into the departure gates. After spending a month with her, I was really sad to see her leave and the both of us teared up. I am and will always be grateful for the chance to meet her and get to know her. We have been keeping in touch ever since.


Thank you so much for reading my highlights of August 2015. My August had been an emotional roller coaster. 

Comments

Popular Posts