From My Heart: In memory of Mr Lee Kuan Yew
Hello lovelies,
I'm here with some bad news - Singapore's very first prime minister and founding father - Mr Lee Kuan Yew had passed away on 23rd March 2015, 0318. It took me a while to gather my thoughts and I would like to write a tribute to Mr Lee (1923-2015).
On Thursday evening (26 March 2015) at 7.30pm, I had joined the longest queue of my life so far with my good friend - Jeremy - to pay our respects to our country's founding father. The queue was so long that my good friend and I had to queue until 12.30 am just to catch a glimpse of Mr Lee's coffin. Even though we were ushered out almost immediately (due to the sheer amount of people wanting to pay their respect to this great man), I felt the time spent (5h) was worthwhile. It was nothing compared to what Mr Lee had to go through and do. The mood was light and yet sombre. It was extremely heartwarming to see volunteers looking out for and giving out essentials (like water, drinks and food) to people in the queue. I think that Mr Lee would have been tremendously proud and happy to see Singaporeans uniting and lending a helping hand to one another. Thank you very much to every volunteer who selflessly gave up their time for Mr Lee and the public. It was a warm and rather still evening. There were times when I felt like giving up (my feet were hurting so badly) but I persevered on just on the sole thought of how much Mr Lee struggled selflessly, fought for us and gave us.
Mr Lee was like a grandfather to me even though I had never met him before. On the 9th August every year, I would turn on the National Day Parade on the television just to look out for Mr Lee. I can still vividly remember how he would wave as he entered the stadium, the way people cheered so loudly for him, the way he waved the Singapore flag and the way he covered his ears as the fireworks exploded above our heads. Seeing him at the National Day Parade always make me feel happy, reassured and proud. To me, he was the man who built Singapore. He brought Singapore up like we were his own children - each and every one of us like his own kin. Everything he did, we were his most pressing concern.
Since I am born in 1994, I am part of what most people call the Generation Y or Millennial Generation. I am fortunate to be born in a developed and first world Singapore to an amazing family. From birth, I had access to one of the world's best healthcare system, a good education system, a good public transport system, the world's 5th best passport with visa-free access to 170 countries and many more privileges. Even though some critics may argue that we do not have freedom of speech and press, I do not feel it that way. There is a need for a small country like Singapore with culture and racial diversity to have regulation of press to a certain extent in order to prevent future racial conflicts like the notorious Maria Hertogh Riots especially since people are our only resource. This ensured our peace and stability. We owe our peace and luxury to Mr Lee and his team. Even though I didn't experience the hardships that my parents and grandparents lived through, I still feel very appreciative and grateful to Mr Lee and his team. They brought Singapore from an unknown third world country to a first world country excelling in areas like healthcare, education, Science, research and economically.
However, 50 years ago, this was a completely different story. Singapore was a third world country who just left the UK and the Federation of Malaysia. We were like a new born child left to fend for themselves - we had no natural resources, no national defence, there were rubbish all around, some people had no homes to call their own, communicable diseases were rampant and many more. This was a stark contrast to the Singapore we are accustomed to.
From a very young age, we were taught in school about how Mr Lee led Singapore from a British Colony to independent self-government (except in the areas of defence and foreign affairs) before the merger with Malaysia which led to our eventual independence. But we were not taught the extent of his struggle, worry as well as how hard he fought for us.
Mr Lee always believed in the equality of races and when he advocated for it, he was shot down by the (then) Malaysia government for it. There were riots and chaos all around (like the Prophet Mohammad Birthday Riots). Mr Lee tried to prevent the inevitable but on 9th August 1965, Singapore was "kicked out" of Malaysia. He wept on the national TV for us as he knew the severity of the situation more than anyone else but he remained strong for us. We were a small nation with no natural resources, no nation defence; many believed that we would never survive as a sovereign nation.
"For me, it is a moment of anguish because all my life ... You see, the whole of my adult life... I have believed in the merger and unity of the two territories. You know that we, as a people, are connected by geography, economics, by ties of kinship ... It literally broke everything that we stood for ... now Singapore shall be forever a sovereign democratic and independent nation, founded upon the principles of liberty and justice and ever seeking the welfare and happiness of the people in a most and just equal society." - Mr Lee
Undaunted, Mr Lee stood up to the challenge and worked extremely hard to secure our sovereignty. Since we were a small country with no natural resources, Mr and Mrs Lee had to ensure our national interest such as securing water supply from Malaysia. Mr Lee and his team started the compulsory 2 year long National Service for men which secured our deterrence and national defence. Policies like export-oriented industrialisation and creating a conducive environment for multi-national corporations ensured that our economy blossom. In order to prevent Singapore from turning into a concrete jungle, he decided to roll our the concept of the clean and green city which included the planting of trees all over Singapore, country-wide cleaning up of the streets as well as the massive clean-up of the Singapore River. People were given free compulsory Primary school education in order to develop the people. Furthermore, to ensure that all Singaporeans have their own home, he created the Housing Development Board which builds high-rise buildings for people to live in. There were land reclamations to increase the size of Singapore. There was meritocracy - whereby we have to work to get what we want which trained us to be independent individuals with drive to excel - and bilingualism - which required us to learn and be proficient at at least 2 languages: the unifying language (English) and our mother tongue which preserved our roots. We had clean portable water and electricity readily available, great interconnected transport network, high security, air-conditioned shopping centres and national libraries, low crime rates and many more. Furthermore, we also have one of the world's best airlines - Singapore Airline. The lists just never stop growing; he did so much for Singapore that it is almost impossible to list all.
Furthermore, even though he was the leader of Singapore, he never put on airs. He was well-loved by the people due to him being genuine and considerate towards his colleagues, subordinates and people. He was always looking out for everyone. Furthermore, he was frugal and never wasteful. Whenever he goes overseas on state matters, he never charter a flight even though he could. He took scheduled flight and insisted on staying in single rooms instead of suites. Moreover, he neither procrastinated nor wasted time. As we are sitting here or queueing to see him in the Parliament House or getting on with our daily lives, everything that we have now are mostly accredited to him. Mr Lee helped us achieve peace and stability as well as ensured our sovereignty.
"LKY did so much for Singapore. There's nothing to deny; there's nothing to say whether you like or dislike what he did. Just gratitude. Without him, Singapore wouldn't be here" - My grandma
"LKY is so smart and he have the foresight. He could predict the future which enabled Singapore to be so prosperous" - My aunt
Even though there may be policies that people may disagree with like the stop at 2, Graduate Mothers Scheme and many more, we have to remember that he did it in the interest of Singapore and what he felt was the best then. What he did, (you have to admit) was the best for Singapore. He always had a foresight and always looking out for us - be it in the past, present and even in the future.
In testament to his commitment and dedication to Singapore, Mr Lee was (and still holding the record for) the world's longest-serving Prime Minister (5 June 1959 - 28 November 1990). After which, he took the position of Senior Minister (28 November 1990 - 12 August 2004) before becoming Minister Mentor (12 August 2004 - 14 May 2011). Even after retirement in 2011, he continued to re-establish Singapore's position and diplomatic ties. In recognition of his efforts, he was offered the prestigious Emeritus status but Mr Lee rejected it. Mr Lee continued to serve Singapore rain or shine as well as in sickness and health with his little red box until he was admitted into Singapore General Hospital for the very last time on 5th February 2015. I truly respect and admire Mr Lee for his drive, dedication, enthusiasm, commitment and passion. He had given us the most precious and important thing he could ever give - his time and his life. Without his leadership, Singapore would have been so different and there may not even be a Singapore to speak of. He had made a huge impact on our lives - not only in Singapore but in a global scale. People all over the world had befitted from his wisdom, foresight and charisma. Now, at the time of his departure from us, people all over the world are grieving with us.
Despite all he had done for Singapore, at home, Mr Lee was ultimately just an extraordinary father who showered love, care and concern on his wife, 3 children and 9 grandchildren. His love for his wife touched my heart and it really taught us the meaning of true love and till death do us part. The way he brought his children up was incredible. Despite being offered a home in the official residences at Sri Temasek, he rejected it as he did not want his children to have a "false sense of life". His children grown up to be amazing people upholding his legacy; they are humble, considerate, people-oriented and willing to serve the people just like Mr and Mrs Lee.
At this time of sorrow and heartbreak, my heart and thoughts goes out to PM Lee Hsien Loong and Mr Lee's family. On 23 March 2015, I had woken up to the news that Mr Lee passed away and I was crushed and devastated. I can't imagine how PM Lee and his family felt. We lost our founding father but PM Lee and his family lost their beloved father and grandfather who brought them up and cared for them when they fall. At 8.30 am, PM Lee had to address the nation about the passing of his father and our founding father. It really broke my heart into many shards and in many ways. I know that the passing of a loved one hurt so badly and deeply in a way that you would never think that you could hurt. Even with the hurt and devastation, PM Lee remained strong and dedicated to us. He delivered a beautiful short and sweet speech with strength and dignity. A 7-days mourning week was then declared for Singapore. Watching all the tributes on Mr Lee made me feel so much gratitude, admiration and sadness.
For the next few days, PM Lee continuously made an effort to thank everyone for paying their respects to Mr Lee (and as many as he could in person) as well as going down to comfort everyone for their lost even though I know that he and his family are the ones that will hurt the most. For that, I respect and admire PM Lee with all my heart for his strength, dedication, commitment, care and concern for the people.
On behalf of my family and I, thank you very much, PM Lee for staying strong for your family and for us. I think most Singaporeans, like me, will stand by you no matter what. You are the one that we look up to now. Please don't crumble (even though I know how crushing it is) as Singapore needs you in this time of sorrow and grief as well as future times of triumphs and happiness. There is a lot to bear on your shoulders, but please always do remember that you are never alone - we are behind you all the way. I respect and admire you with all my heart and you inspire me.
"LHL, be strong. Singapore needs you" - My mum
"LHL can't crumble. If he crumbles, what will happen to Singapore" - My grandma
With all my heart and utmost respect, thank you very much, Mr Lee and PM Lee.
Rest in peace, Mr Lee together with Mrs Lee like always. We will remember what you did for us. Even though you left us, you gave us PM Lee who will lead Singapore to greater heights like you did. I volunteered to give out provisions to the people who will be lining the streets on Sunday for your state funeral; after all, I'm sure that's what you want us to do - uniting as one Singapore helping each other. Even though you left us physically, I know that you will still be with us on 9th August 2015 in spirit. SG50 is only here because of you.
My deepest condolences to PM Lee and family; my heart goes out to you and my thoughts are with you always.
Edit:
As I stand along the roads - drenched in the thunderstorm - giving out food, water and flags to the people, I can't help but feel a sense of devastation, gratitude, appreciation, admiration and loss. I never met Mr Lee but I've heard so much about this great man that I've grown to admire and look up to him so much. I'm one who dislike queues and crowds and yet for him, I queued 5h to see him at the Parliament House on Thursday evening. Singapore has lost a great man and leader. Without him, Singapore wouldn't be here. As I wait with everyone to see him for the last time, I would love to say thank you very much for everything you've done for us. You've given your life to serve us; you wept for us 50 years ago and now, we'll weep for you. You united us as a country and now we're coming together for you. RIP Mr Lee with Mrs Lee like always.
Thank you very much to PM Lee as well for staying strong for us. All of us will be looking up at and out for you. We need you and we're always here for you, watching out for you as one Singapore. Words can't express my gratitude for Mr Lee and PM Lee.
It's so heartwarming that people kept thanking us but we should be the ones thanking you for braving the rains with us. All of us volunteering cheered and saluted Mr Lee, PM Lee and family and the guards as they past. Thank you very much for all you've done for us. Stay strong PM Lee and family. We're here for you!
As the minute of silence, national pledge and national anthem marks the end of the state funeral, I feel a sense of loss, devastation with deep gratitude, appreciation and admiration for Mr Lee. He inspired me so much with his dedication, commitment, care and concern for Singapore and the people.To express my gratitude, I had queued up 5h at the Parliament House on Thursday evening even though I dislike crowds and queues a lot.This morning, I also volunteered to give out bread, water and small handheld state flags for people waiting for Mr Lee's cortège during the state procession. Even though we were drenched in the rain, it didn't matter. People thanked us but I felt that I should thank them as well for braving the rain to send Mr Lee off. Once I reached home, I immediately turned on the TV for the state funeral live broadcast. During the eulogies, I can't help crying while I had a glimpse of what Mr Lee was like as a person. I neither knew nor met Mr Lee personally but I've heard so much about him that I respected him a lot. Even though I haven't said the pledge nor sang the national anthem in a while, I sang it loudly at home in front of the TV with pride, gratitude and appreciation.
For the great man who gave his entire life to Singapore, words can't express my gratitude for you - Mr LeeKuanYew
Thank you very much PM Lee for staying strong for us as well. Even with the crushing loss of both of his parents and the whole nation's expectations on his shoulder, he soldiered on for us. You have my immense gratitude and admiration as well, PM Lee. The nation needs you and we are looking out for and up to you.
I'm here with some bad news - Singapore's very first prime minister and founding father - Mr Lee Kuan Yew had passed away on 23rd March 2015, 0318. It took me a while to gather my thoughts and I would like to write a tribute to Mr Lee (1923-2015).
On Thursday evening (26 March 2015) at 7.30pm, I had joined the longest queue of my life so far with my good friend - Jeremy - to pay our respects to our country's founding father. The queue was so long that my good friend and I had to queue until 12.30 am just to catch a glimpse of Mr Lee's coffin. Even though we were ushered out almost immediately (due to the sheer amount of people wanting to pay their respect to this great man), I felt the time spent (5h) was worthwhile. It was nothing compared to what Mr Lee had to go through and do. The mood was light and yet sombre. It was extremely heartwarming to see volunteers looking out for and giving out essentials (like water, drinks and food) to people in the queue. I think that Mr Lee would have been tremendously proud and happy to see Singaporeans uniting and lending a helping hand to one another. Thank you very much to every volunteer who selflessly gave up their time for Mr Lee and the public. It was a warm and rather still evening. There were times when I felt like giving up (my feet were hurting so badly) but I persevered on just on the sole thought of how much Mr Lee struggled selflessly, fought for us and gave us.
Mr Lee was like a grandfather to me even though I had never met him before. On the 9th August every year, I would turn on the National Day Parade on the television just to look out for Mr Lee. I can still vividly remember how he would wave as he entered the stadium, the way people cheered so loudly for him, the way he waved the Singapore flag and the way he covered his ears as the fireworks exploded above our heads. Seeing him at the National Day Parade always make me feel happy, reassured and proud. To me, he was the man who built Singapore. He brought Singapore up like we were his own children - each and every one of us like his own kin. Everything he did, we were his most pressing concern.
Since I am born in 1994, I am part of what most people call the Generation Y or Millennial Generation. I am fortunate to be born in a developed and first world Singapore to an amazing family. From birth, I had access to one of the world's best healthcare system, a good education system, a good public transport system, the world's 5th best passport with visa-free access to 170 countries and many more privileges. Even though some critics may argue that we do not have freedom of speech and press, I do not feel it that way. There is a need for a small country like Singapore with culture and racial diversity to have regulation of press to a certain extent in order to prevent future racial conflicts like the notorious Maria Hertogh Riots especially since people are our only resource. This ensured our peace and stability. We owe our peace and luxury to Mr Lee and his team. Even though I didn't experience the hardships that my parents and grandparents lived through, I still feel very appreciative and grateful to Mr Lee and his team. They brought Singapore from an unknown third world country to a first world country excelling in areas like healthcare, education, Science, research and economically.
However, 50 years ago, this was a completely different story. Singapore was a third world country who just left the UK and the Federation of Malaysia. We were like a new born child left to fend for themselves - we had no natural resources, no national defence, there were rubbish all around, some people had no homes to call their own, communicable diseases were rampant and many more. This was a stark contrast to the Singapore we are accustomed to.
From a very young age, we were taught in school about how Mr Lee led Singapore from a British Colony to independent self-government (except in the areas of defence and foreign affairs) before the merger with Malaysia which led to our eventual independence. But we were not taught the extent of his struggle, worry as well as how hard he fought for us.
Mr Lee always believed in the equality of races and when he advocated for it, he was shot down by the (then) Malaysia government for it. There were riots and chaos all around (like the Prophet Mohammad Birthday Riots). Mr Lee tried to prevent the inevitable but on 9th August 1965, Singapore was "kicked out" of Malaysia. He wept on the national TV for us as he knew the severity of the situation more than anyone else but he remained strong for us. We were a small nation with no natural resources, no nation defence; many believed that we would never survive as a sovereign nation.
"For me, it is a moment of anguish because all my life ... You see, the whole of my adult life... I have believed in the merger and unity of the two territories. You know that we, as a people, are connected by geography, economics, by ties of kinship ... It literally broke everything that we stood for ... now Singapore shall be forever a sovereign democratic and independent nation, founded upon the principles of liberty and justice and ever seeking the welfare and happiness of the people in a most and just equal society." - Mr Lee
Undaunted, Mr Lee stood up to the challenge and worked extremely hard to secure our sovereignty. Since we were a small country with no natural resources, Mr and Mrs Lee had to ensure our national interest such as securing water supply from Malaysia. Mr Lee and his team started the compulsory 2 year long National Service for men which secured our deterrence and national defence. Policies like export-oriented industrialisation and creating a conducive environment for multi-national corporations ensured that our economy blossom. In order to prevent Singapore from turning into a concrete jungle, he decided to roll our the concept of the clean and green city which included the planting of trees all over Singapore, country-wide cleaning up of the streets as well as the massive clean-up of the Singapore River. People were given free compulsory Primary school education in order to develop the people. Furthermore, to ensure that all Singaporeans have their own home, he created the Housing Development Board which builds high-rise buildings for people to live in. There were land reclamations to increase the size of Singapore. There was meritocracy - whereby we have to work to get what we want which trained us to be independent individuals with drive to excel - and bilingualism - which required us to learn and be proficient at at least 2 languages: the unifying language (English) and our mother tongue which preserved our roots. We had clean portable water and electricity readily available, great interconnected transport network, high security, air-conditioned shopping centres and national libraries, low crime rates and many more. Furthermore, we also have one of the world's best airlines - Singapore Airline. The lists just never stop growing; he did so much for Singapore that it is almost impossible to list all.
"LKY did so much for Singapore. There's nothing to deny; there's nothing to say whether you like or dislike what he did. Just gratitude. Without him, Singapore wouldn't be here" - My grandma
"LKY is so smart and he have the foresight. He could predict the future which enabled Singapore to be so prosperous" - My aunt
Even though there may be policies that people may disagree with like the stop at 2, Graduate Mothers Scheme and many more, we have to remember that he did it in the interest of Singapore and what he felt was the best then. What he did, (you have to admit) was the best for Singapore. He always had a foresight and always looking out for us - be it in the past, present and even in the future.
In testament to his commitment and dedication to Singapore, Mr Lee was (and still holding the record for) the world's longest-serving Prime Minister (5 June 1959 - 28 November 1990). After which, he took the position of Senior Minister (28 November 1990 - 12 August 2004) before becoming Minister Mentor (12 August 2004 - 14 May 2011). Even after retirement in 2011, he continued to re-establish Singapore's position and diplomatic ties. In recognition of his efforts, he was offered the prestigious Emeritus status but Mr Lee rejected it. Mr Lee continued to serve Singapore rain or shine as well as in sickness and health with his little red box until he was admitted into Singapore General Hospital for the very last time on 5th February 2015. I truly respect and admire Mr Lee for his drive, dedication, enthusiasm, commitment and passion. He had given us the most precious and important thing he could ever give - his time and his life. Without his leadership, Singapore would have been so different and there may not even be a Singapore to speak of. He had made a huge impact on our lives - not only in Singapore but in a global scale. People all over the world had befitted from his wisdom, foresight and charisma. Now, at the time of his departure from us, people all over the world are grieving with us.
For the next few days, PM Lee continuously made an effort to thank everyone for paying their respects to Mr Lee (and as many as he could in person) as well as going down to comfort everyone for their lost even though I know that he and his family are the ones that will hurt the most. For that, I respect and admire PM Lee with all my heart for his strength, dedication, commitment, care and concern for the people.
On behalf of my family and I, thank you very much, PM Lee for staying strong for your family and for us. I think most Singaporeans, like me, will stand by you no matter what. You are the one that we look up to now. Please don't crumble (even though I know how crushing it is) as Singapore needs you in this time of sorrow and grief as well as future times of triumphs and happiness. There is a lot to bear on your shoulders, but please always do remember that you are never alone - we are behind you all the way. I respect and admire you with all my heart and you inspire me.
"LHL, be strong. Singapore needs you" - My mum
"LHL can't crumble. If he crumbles, what will happen to Singapore" - My grandma
With all my heart and utmost respect, thank you very much, Mr Lee and PM Lee.
Rest in peace, Mr Lee together with Mrs Lee like always. We will remember what you did for us. Even though you left us, you gave us PM Lee who will lead Singapore to greater heights like you did. I volunteered to give out provisions to the people who will be lining the streets on Sunday for your state funeral; after all, I'm sure that's what you want us to do - uniting as one Singapore helping each other. Even though you left us physically, I know that you will still be with us on 9th August 2015 in spirit. SG50 is only here because of you.
My deepest condolences to PM Lee and family; my heart goes out to you and my thoughts are with you always.
Edit:
As I stand along the roads - drenched in the thunderstorm - giving out food, water and flags to the people, I can't help but feel a sense of devastation, gratitude, appreciation, admiration and loss. I never met Mr Lee but I've heard so much about this great man that I've grown to admire and look up to him so much. I'm one who dislike queues and crowds and yet for him, I queued 5h to see him at the Parliament House on Thursday evening. Singapore has lost a great man and leader. Without him, Singapore wouldn't be here. As I wait with everyone to see him for the last time, I would love to say thank you very much for everything you've done for us. You've given your life to serve us; you wept for us 50 years ago and now, we'll weep for you. You united us as a country and now we're coming together for you. RIP Mr Lee with Mrs Lee like always.
Thank you very much to PM Lee as well for staying strong for us. All of us will be looking up at and out for you. We need you and we're always here for you, watching out for you as one Singapore. Words can't express my gratitude for Mr Lee and PM Lee.
It's so heartwarming that people kept thanking us but we should be the ones thanking you for braving the rains with us. All of us volunteering cheered and saluted Mr Lee, PM Lee and family and the guards as they past. Thank you very much for all you've done for us. Stay strong PM Lee and family. We're here for you!
As the minute of silence, national pledge and national anthem marks the end of the state funeral, I feel a sense of loss, devastation with deep gratitude, appreciation and admiration for Mr Lee. He inspired me so much with his dedication, commitment, care and concern for Singapore and the people.To express my gratitude, I had queued up 5h at the Parliament House on Thursday evening even though I dislike crowds and queues a lot.This morning, I also volunteered to give out bread, water and small handheld state flags for people waiting for Mr Lee's cortège during the state procession. Even though we were drenched in the rain, it didn't matter. People thanked us but I felt that I should thank them as well for braving the rain to send Mr Lee off. Once I reached home, I immediately turned on the TV for the state funeral live broadcast. During the eulogies, I can't help crying while I had a glimpse of what Mr Lee was like as a person. I neither knew nor met Mr Lee personally but I've heard so much about him that I respected him a lot. Even though I haven't said the pledge nor sang the national anthem in a while, I sang it loudly at home in front of the TV with pride, gratitude and appreciation.
For the great man who gave his entire life to Singapore, words can't express my gratitude for you - Mr LeeKuanYew
Thank you very much PM Lee for staying strong for us as well. Even with the crushing loss of both of his parents and the whole nation's expectations on his shoulder, he soldiered on for us. You have my immense gratitude and admiration as well, PM Lee. The nation needs you and we are looking out for and up to you.


Comments
Post a Comment